To get email notification of new content, change your preferences settings. Sign in first. Then click on the icon under your name called 'account options' and choose 'edit profile' in the dropdown menu. Now click on 'Notification preferences' in the new menu below your name. Under 'Category Notifications' click on the boxes under the Email heading as you desire.

Shaking off trauma, why can't we do that?

Hi, is there a reason why animals in the wild can "shake off" traumas and be done with it and we humans (and domesticated animals) have lost the ability to do so?
I know about the subcellular bug issue that if I remember correctly  creates traumas in the first place in mammals, so trauma forms in say a gazelle running from a lion in the same way that it forms in us in a traumatic situation, but the gazelle when she escapes shakes off the trauma and it's done with it and we are stuck with it.
Is this a specific trauma or subcellular issue of its own that prevents us from shaking trauma off? It seems to happen only in domesticated animals as I was saying before, and that includes humans, so at first glance it doesn't seem a bug issue
Thank you
Antonella

Comments

• Actually, we haven't completely lost that ability.  There is a book about that:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1897238401  .  Simply, just get in a pose and hold it until you shake, and shake, and shake. 

• The link doesn't work, but I know about the technique of David Berceli. The problem is that we have lost the ability to do it naturally, immediately after the trauma has happened.
    (We have to resort to technique to trigger it and as a personal aside there's so much stuff stored over the decades that gets released at random with that technique that is quite traumatizing itself in my experience)
  • Hi Antonella,
    I think we just learned to inhibit the process of shaking because of social conditionning.

I remember David Bercelli telling the stories of being bombed in Lebanon (I think), and children would shake automatically but adults did not. The adults had to compose themselves in order "not to scared the kids" !

So it is probably about believing one should not do it in order to not lose face, protect others, being accepted, etc...

You can probably look for your resistance to letting the shaking happen naturally. Then heal it, and shaking should happen by itself when needed.

However, it might just be working on biographical traumas. Would it work on generationnals ? I don't know.

The principles of shaking are the same used in body-mind therapies inspired from Wilhem Reich theorie of muscular armoring. Through gymnastics, Rolfing, Feldenkrais, osteopathy, or body-mind psychotherapies such as breathwork or Hendrick's, we learn to release the muscular tension that are preventing/protecting us from feeling traumas. Certainly useful to get experience in such techniques...

As for my personal experience, the shaking happens naturally in rare occasions while healing traumas that have a muscular impact. It had been there since my hypnosis period, and increased with learning Bercelli's method. So I believe you can achieve that freedom too, if that's what you are seeking.

Other ressources would include 5 rythms dance / ecstatic dance, yoga, body expression techniques, but also singing is great, somatic experiencing, etc...

In Bali, a spiritual guide named Ratu Bagus teaches shaking in a different way from Bercelli (standing up and bouncing). People do it for 6 hours a day and get into pretty intense stuff. It has kind of a sect vibe to me though, so take it with precautions.

• Thank yu so much Gaetan!! So much info! So domesticated animals are just copying us basically?
  • You are welcome :)

Well domesticated animals are a creation of man. Should all animals be naturally wild ?